I’m usually not one to enjoy Aquariums, however the Toronto Aquarium have really done an amazing job here. Open 365 days a year and open until 11pm most evenings (unless there’s a function where they will close earlier), this is the perfect attraction for all ages and events.
‘Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada mission is to provide a world class experience that will foster education, conservation, and research, while providing fun and entertainment for locals and tourists of all ages’, and they definitely do not disappoint.
There are over 16,000 aquatic animals here with more than 5,7 million litres of water. The aquarium is broken down into 9 main attractions, some of which include my favourites:
- The Canadian Waters Gallery – 17 main exhibits, 665,000 litres of water and showcasing Alewife, Largemouth Bass, American Lobster, Wolf Eel, Lumpfish, Giant Pacific Octopus and China Rockfish.
- Rainbow Reef – interactive dive shows every other hour, showcasing Picasso Triggerfish, Humbug Dascyllus, Emperor Angelfish, Pajama Cardinalfish and Unicorn Surgeonfish.
- Dangerous Lagoon – the largest exhibition, 2.5 million litres of water. Offers a moving sidewalk to get yo close to the marine life. Showcases, Sand Tiger Shark, Sandbar Shark, Roughtail Stingray, Green Sawfish and Green Sea Turtles!
- The Gallery – 6 salt water and 3 fresh water exhibits, 50,000 litres of water total. Live coral exhibit with propagated coral growing in an offsite facility. Showcases, Red Lionfish, Electric Eel, Lined Seahorse, Weedy Sea Dragon and Archerfish.
- Ray Bay – 350,000 litres of water, showcasing Bonnethead shark, Cownose Ray, Southern Stingray and Roughtail Stingray
- Planet Jellies – Showcases Pacific Sea Nettle, Moon Jelly, Spotted Lagoon Jelly and Upside-down Jelly.
- Shoreline Gallery – chance to get up close and personal while touching the sharks. Temps kept at 25 degrees Celsius. Showcasing, Whitespotted Bamboo Sharks, Brownbanded Bamboo Sharks, Southern Stingray and Cownose Rays
Other attractions include in water ray bay experience, yoga, sleepovers, photography classes, field trips and birthday parties.
COST – $29.98 adult, $19.98 child, Purchase tickets here
LOCATION – 288 Bremner Blvd, Toronto