The annual Melbourne International Film Festival is celebrating their 66th anniversary with the two week long festivities in full swing from 3 – 20 August 2017. Melbourne’s cultural scene comes to life as Australia’s largest film festival brings international films to the big screen as hundreds of thousands attend the 300+ short films, documentaries and independent films from 50 different countries.
In the midst of the festival there six reoccurring events that take place each year including:
- Opening Centrepiece Gala – This red carpet event kicks off the festival with ‘Jungle’, based on true events, filmed close to the Bolizian city of La Paz.
- Short Film Competition – The festival itself is a non-competition event, however there is a small portion of the event where film makers can enter their short films in this annual competition
- Accelerator – workshops and screenings to help film makers develop their skills in the industry
- Festival Lounge – attend free events, music and performances throughout the festival
- Masterclasses – a variety of different masterclasses will take place throughout the event
Local bars and restaurants have created pre theatre dinner menus and special offers for film goers to help drive business during these two weeks. With free tickets in hand, we are set to hit as many of these restaurants before heading to one of our favourite films before the festival ends for another year.
Date – 3 – 20 August 2017
Cost – Varies depending on event. Some events are free
Website – miff.com.au