This Labour Day weekend, the 62nd annual Moomba Festival event heads back to the Yarra River and surrounding areas, attracting a massive one million guests over the 3 day festival event. Spanning from Birrarung Marr, Alexandra Gardens and the Yarra River between Princes Bridge and Swan Street Bridge this City of Melbourne festival is a celebration of family filled events and programs, now recognized as Australia’s largest community festival.
Enjoy free activities, music and live performances, plus a Kid’s Zone and carnival with rides and games. Below are some of the must see events this year.
- Birdman Rally
- Sunday 12th March near the Yarra
- Locals will bring their innovative homemade flying devices and will compete to see who can soar the furthest.
- All proceeds from this event will go to charity.
- Moomba Parade
- Monday 13th March @ 10:45am
- This year’s parade will showcase a display of vibrancy and energy to awaken and inspire Melburnians as 2000 passionate participants join the lively procession
- All floats are custom designed by the children’s community and will showcase young talent from the local area
- Fireworks will go off on Saturday and Sunday night @ 9:30pm, with the grand finale happening on Monday evening.
- Best view for the fireworks would be along the river bank, the main arena or along Birrarung Marr or Alexandra Gardens
If these aren’t for you, then maybe the wide range of food available might get you to the festival. With a variety of international and traditional cuisines plus healthy options, there is something available for everyone. Everything from fairy floss, ice cream and burgers are all available to ensure throughout the day.
Yarra Trams, buses and trains make it easy to get to the festival. Check out the PTV website for up to date details. Note if driving, there will be some road closures surrounding the festival.
Smoking, Drinking & Pets
Festival organizers have asked that entertainment and food areas are kept as a smoke free area. This is an alcohol free & pet free festival.
For the full line up of the event, check out the Moomba Festival Website.